LanguageTool is a proofreading software. It works by sending the text to be checked to our servers over an
encrypted connection. This policy describes what kind of data we store.
The processing of personal data on this website is carried out in accordance with
the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the German Federal Data Protection Act,
Bundesdatenschutzgesetz (BDSG 2018).
Here's how you can contact us.
Note: If you don't want any information to be transferred, download the stand-alone version from
our homepage. It works locally without internet access and thus doesn't transfer any data.
Have you given us permission to use your data, e.g. by subscribing to the newsletter?
You can revoke this permission at any time as described below.
- We don't store the text that you submit for style and grammar checking on languagetool.org, with the following exceptions:
In any case, we don't store the data with your IP address or any other meta information
that would allow us to identify you. Thus it's also not possible to delete your data.
- If you explicitly submit feedback, for example about false alarms or undetected errors, we store that feedback.
- If you accept or explicitly ignore corrections or open examples for an error, we log the internal rule id of that error
(this is something like ENGLISH_WORD_REPEAT_RULE for word repetition errors).
- If you accept a correction of a spelling error, we log the original word and the correction you selected.
- In case of an internal software error (which is extremely rare), we log the sentence that caused the error so
we can reproduce and fix the error.
- To improve our proofreading service, we keep a log of the following information:
None of this information can be used to identify you.
- date and time, length of submitted text, text language, processing time on server, number of detected errors (but not the actual errors unless you have agreed to that),
- the page on which you submitted the request (referrer),
- internal errors that occur (e.g. the browser add-on not being able to access the text to be checked),
- the number of times you used the browser add-on (only transferred when you uninstall the add-on)
- In our web server log files, your IP address is stored in an abbreviated form (like 192.168.xxx.xxx)
so it cannot be used to identify you. Error messages like for exceeding the query limit are stored with the
full IP for up to 48 hours so we can prevent misuse of the service.
- If you subscribe to our newsletter, your email address will be stored
at our newsletter provider (newsletter2go.com, Newsletter2Go GmbH,
Your email will be deleted when you unsubscribe using the unsubscribe link that is included in every
newsletter we send. You can also contact us to unsubscribe from the newsletter.
Most browsers are configured to accept cookies. However, you can change your
browser settings to configure your browser so that cookies are limited or completely blocked.
For more information on how to do this, please visit the following
Network Advertising Initiative
and/or Digital Advertising Alliance.
You will also find information there about how to delete cookies from your computer and general information about cookies.
For information on how to make these settings on your phone's browser, please refer to your mobile phone's manual.
Below is a list of providers who are authorized to set cookies on our website and information about how to opt out of cookies.
- Yieldlove GmbH, Neuer Pferdemarkt 1, 20359 Hamburg ("Yieldlove") markets online advertising space
on languagetool.org and the mobile website of languagetool.org and thus allows us to offer
many services for free. In order to optimise
how Yieldlove processes data and which data is affected, please refer to Yieldlove's
clicking on the link provided:
For accesses from web browsers and browser add-ons, this website uses Piwik for web analytics. We're shortening your
IP address (to a form like 192.168.xxx.xxx) to protect your privacy. If you don't want your
visit to be recorded at all by Piwik, you can opt out here:
- In case you order a premium subscription, your order will be processed by our reseller fastspring
(Bright Market, LLC d/b/a FastSpring. 801 Garden St., Santa Barbara, CA 93101).
The data at fastspring is protected under the EU-US Privacy Shield, additionally
fastspring has committed to follow all EU privacy laws starting 2018-05-28.
Your data will be kept at fastspring after you cancel a subscription for tax reasons. See
Your credit card information - if you use a credit card to purchase the premium product - is
transmitted to fastspring, we do not know your credit card data.
- You have the right, upon request and free of charge, to receive information about your personal data we store.
- If you believe that the processing of your personal data is unlawful, you have the right to complain to a regulatory agency.
Change log of this page